WHAT TO DO AFTER AN ARREST
HOW TO PROCEED LEGALLY AND EMOTIONALLY
If you have been arrested for a crime in Chicago, knowing the proper steps to take is the first move toward properly protecting your rights. Our legal team at Abdallah Law is dedicated to providing you with the tools and information you need to proceed through your case, and we make it a priority to give you the confidence you need to navigate the consequences of your arrest.
DON'T JEOPARDIZE YOUR FUTURE
Following an arrest, you will likely be advised of your rights, booked, and placed in a holding cell. The reading of your rights is intended to help remind you of the ways that the law protects you, even in the event of an arrest. Knowing these rights can drastically affect the path that your case takes.
After your arrest:
- Remember that you do not have to speak with the arresting officer, or answer questions about your case, without your attorney present.
- Ask for an attorney. It is recommended that you do not exchange information about your case with anyone, until you have counseled with your legal representation.
- In your initial consultation with your attorney, you will be interviewed for a full report of the events that led to your arrest, already forming a plan for a strong of action.
- With your lawyer present, you will likely be asked to stand before a judge and may have to enter a plea - guilty, or not guilty. At this point, the subject of your option for bail may be addressed.
- Depending on the charges, you may be required to return to court for an arraignment hearing. Between the time of your arrest and the time of your hearing, consult with your attorney. He or she should keep you informed every step of the way and make sure you feel adequately prepared for your arraignment.
CONTACT OUR CHICAGO CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYERS
Choosing a lawyer is one of the most essential steps in this process, for your lawyer serves as your confidant and your advocate. Contact our office today for a case evaluation and we can provide you with an honest overview of your options.